- Put 4 quarts of water in a large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, turn off the heat and add 1c sugar (stir to dissolve), and brew 4 green tea bags and 4 black tea bags for 10 minutes.
- Take off burner, cover, and let sit until room temperature (usually this is best done overnight).
- For initial batch, put the kombucha mother and remaining liquid in a large glass jar, then add the sweet tea.
- For subsequent batches, you will need to remove the kombucha mother (the one you had put in the week before) and baby (the new growth), and put them in a bowl with about pint of the newly made kombucha. You can compost the mother, or give it to someone to start their own batch.
- Bottle the new kombucha tea that you made, in bottles or jars that close tightly. Leave out of the fridge for 2 days, as this helps it get fizzy. After 2 days you can refrigerate, if desired. (I usually keep mine on the shelf because I don’t like it taking up room in my little fridge.)
- Pour the sweet tea into the glass jar, then add the liquid you set aside, and the kombucha baby.
- Cover with a cloth and set in a warm, dry place for 7-9 days. Then start the process again.